Moving to Argentina?

Connect with fellow expats in Argentina
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Argentina guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Argentina

Visas and Work Permits for Argentina

When expats think of moving to Argentina, a few different things usually come to mind: Tango, soccer, the first South American pope. That is not all there is to Argentina, however. Read on to find useful information on your new home, from its people and geography to visa requirements for expats.
Argentina has always been one of Latin America's biggest immigrant nations.

Entry Requirements

Anyone intent on entering Argentina needs a valid passport. Whether you must also apply for a visa depends on both your nationality and the purpose of your stay. The same goes for the type of visa you require.

Some choose to go on a short fact-finding trip before embarking on their expatriate assignment in Argentina. Nationals from close to 80 countries can enter Argentina without a visa and stay for up to 90 days. If your home country is not on this list, you will need a tourist visa (category 24 A). Depending on your country of origin, a tourist visa allows you to stay in Argentina for 30 to 90 days. Simply ask at your nearest consulate. In order to apply for a tourist visa, you need to submit the following documents at your nearest embassy:

  • Two completed application forms

  • Copy of your valid passport

  • Two recent passport size photographs

  • Six months’ bank statements

  • Proof of accommodation lasting the duration of your stay

  • Copy of your round trip flight reservations

Once all of the documents are received, an interview will normally be scheduled.

The 24 H professional visa is for short business trips. The visa usually allows for stays of up to 30 days for applicants who wish to enter Argentina with the intent to do business or attend any conferences or congresses. Along with your two completed application forms, be sure to bring the following documents when you apply:

  • Your valid passport

  • Four passport photographs

  • A return flight booking

  • A travel agency itinerary or hotel reservations

  • Three months’ bank statements

  • An invitation from a company in Argentina

Visa of Temporary Residence

Expats who plan on staying in Argentina for more than three months must obtain a visa of temporary residence. Several visas fulfill this purpose, most importantly the working visa.

The working visa category is sub-divided into two separate visas. Which one you need depends on your reason for coming to Argentina. The 23 A visa applies to the majority of people who move to Argentina for any salaried activity and lasts one year, however, it is fairly straightforward to extend this visa for longer. Category 23 E, meanwhile, caters specifically to so-called scientists and specialists as well as some managers, technicians, and administrative staff.

Expats from much of South America may not need to get such visas, however. MERCOSUR, the South American customs union, includes the nations of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. Citizens of the MERCOSUR countries should inquire at their nearest Argentine mission about the MERCOSUR visa.

Obtaining an Entry Permit and Working Visa

Expats from non-MERCOSUR states applying for a temporary working visa need to obtain an entry permit (permiso de ingreso) first.

In most cases, this is handled either by your future Argentine employer, your branch office in Argentina, or an Argentine immigration lawyer. They will help you cut through the red tape and tell you which documents you are required to submit. They will also apply for the permit on your behalf. It is then usually sent to the consulate or uploaded to its visa application system once ready.

When you have the entry permit, you can make an appointment to apply for a working visa. In addition to your application, you need the following:

  • Your valid passport

  • Three passport photographs

  • Your employment contract signed by your future employer OR a notarized certification for your intra-company transfer

  • Your birth certificate and, as applicable, marriage certificate and divorce decree

  • A certificate of good conduct and an affidavit stating that you don’t have an international police record

  • An official certified copy of your degree certificate or professional credentials

Finally, you will need to attend a personal interview with consular staff and pay the application fees.

Spouses, parents, and children under 18 can apply for a visa as dependents. Except for work-related documents, they must submit the same paperwork as the applicant they will be accompanying.

In some cases, the working visa is valid up to one year and can be extended via the National Immigration Office. In others, it is valid for however long the entry authorization from the immigration office stipulates.

Please also consult the National Immigration Office for further information.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete.

Paolo Greco

"My wife has found her job through InterNations. That is great as our fresh start in Buenos Aires was kind of tough for us both."

Ida Hagen

"If you want to meet interesting international people in Buenos Aires, go to the InterNations events! I am doing that -- everyone is doing that."

Global Expat Guide

Top Articles Expat Guide