Who can contribute?
We encourage our members to share their expat experiences and advice with others. Before you submit an article for review, please check the following criteria:
- you are an InterNations member;
- you are a current or former expat;
- you have native-level written English;
- you are not writing with the purpose of advertising a specific product or service;
What do we publish?
Generally speaking, you can contribute to three distinct parts of our editorial content: the Local Guide, the Global Guide, and the Magazine.
The Local Guide provides readers with factual information on a given country or city (from essentials like visas and housing to nice-to-haves like shopping or nightlife). Articles should be straightforward, matter-of-fact and slightly formal.
The Global Guide deals with expat issues on a global level. Articles don’t refer to a specific country or city and give universal expat advice (how to raise an expat kid, how to deal with culture shock, etc.). Their tone can be more casual but still offer some hands-on advice.
The Magazine can be informative or it can be an opportunity for members to share the odds and ends of their expat life. Still, a Magazine article has to tell a story, referring to a specific topic. The tone can be a bit more casual.
Language and Style
Your guest post should correspond in style, tone and length to other articles in the Local Guide, Global Guide, and Magazine. All articles must be written in English and should be at least 500 words long.
The preferred writing style in our Local and Global Guides:
- neutral and descriptive
- ranging from slightly formal to slightly casual in tone
The preferred writing style in our Magazine:
- more on the colloquial side and including some of your personal experiences
- clear and easy to understand
Each article page needs at least one picture. If you want to provide us with a picture to accompany your article, please take note of the following:
Size & Format
- The minimum size for pictures is 1956x954 pixels.
- The picture must be in landscape format, in the appropriate size (or bigger to crop it accordingly).
- Only use pictures that you took yourself or which you are permitted to use for this purpose and in adherence to our General Terms and Conditions.
- The picture should not focus on a specific trademark.
Content & Quality
- The picture should not be too dark or blurry (avoid snap shots).
- The picture should not show children or be a portrait of a specific person.
- It should illustrate properly what the article is about without being stereotypical.
If you cannot find a suitable picture, please let us know and we will take care of the matter.
The author bio can be found at the bottom of each member-contributed article and includes a link to your profile. The author bio should be not more than 350 characters long, and contain some basic information about where you are from, where you live, what you do, and what you are interested in.
Remember that, while you can mention your profession, the author bio is no place to advertise your services.
What do we not publish?
While we are open to a wide range of ideas, there are some things we do NOT publish on InterNations. These include:
- Content previously published or copy-pasted from other websites
- So-called advertorials or promotional articles
- nationality-specific content (such as “Tax Advice for British Expats”)
- Political propaganda
- Racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic or otherwise discriminatory content
- Pornography or sexually suggestive content
- Content which promotes violence
We reserve the right to decline submissions for reasons other than the ones mentioned above. Remember that the final decision concerning the acceptance of member contributions lies within the responsibility of the Content & Communications Department.
Please understand that we do not include links to businesses or personal blogs in our articles (including the author bio). If you want to become an advertising partner instead, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can you contribute?
If you have an idea for an article which you think could be of interest to InterNations, feel free to contact email@example.com.
We will get back to you and let you know if your suggestion fits our content or if some adjustments are needed.
What happens next?
A member of the Editorial Office Team will proofread your article. If anything is unclear, major changes are necessary, or your article has been declined, we will get in touch with you. If everything is alright, we will notify you as soon as your article has been published.
Your article will be published with a link to your InterNations profile and a short author biography at the end of the article.
In return, you will receive a free one-month Albatross Membership on www.internations.org.