Working in Malmoe?

Connect with fellow expats in Malmoe
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Malmoe guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Malmoe

Working in Malmoe

Malmoe is one of the main economic centers in Scandinavia, with expatriates often working at one of Malmoe’s biotechnology and computing firms. Before starting their expat life in Sweden, however, at least non-EU citizens will require a work permit when planning on working in Malmoe!

Local Economy

Although Malmoe's economy was traditionally based in industry and manufacturing, it is now a postindustrial city and is one of the main economic centers in Scandinavia. Since the construction of the Øresund Bridge, which connects the city to Denmark, Malmoe has undergone an economic transformation, with many companies setting up offices in the city center, including E.ON Sverige, Skanska, and Sydsvenskan.

Malmoe University, founded in 1998, also contributes greatly to the economy, and has provided graduates to work in the many new biotechnology and computing firms that have set up in Malmoe over the last decade. Expatriates working in Malmoe usually do so in biotechnology, computing, for one of the major companies, or as English teachers.

Work Permits for Malmoe

Sweden is a full member of the European Union, and as such citizens of EU and EEA countries will not need a permit to work in Malmoe; however all non-EU citizens will require a work permit. You are not able to apply for a permit to work in Malmoe until you have secured work in the city, as your prospective employer will first need to verify your working conditions, salary, and contract length with the relevant union.

You can apply for your work permit at your local embassy or consulate, and will need to provide evidence of your prospective employment, confirm that you have accommodation in Malmoe, and that you will be able to leave at the end of your contract.

Taxation in Malmoe

Expatriates working in Malmoe will be required to pay income tax. If you work in Malmoe for more than 183 day in a year then you qualify as a resident of Sweden, and will pay income tax on your worldwide income; if you live and work in Malmoe for less than 183 days in a year, you will pay income tax on your Swedish income only.

Sweden has a progressive, sliding scale tax system, which means that the amount of income tax you pay depends on how much you earn. The rates for 2014 were as follows:

  • Below 18,800 SEK — 0%
  • 18,800–433,900 SEK — 31%
  • 433,900–615,700 SEK — 31% + 20%
  • Above 615,700 SEK — 31% + 25%

However, Sweden also has a special tax relief program in place for expatriates. This means that if you qualify, you could be entitled to a reduced rate of income tax, as well as tax reimbursements for expenses incurred whilst moving to Malmoe, trips made to your home country and on school fees paid to international schools in Sweden. You will usually qualify if you are a specialist, a qualified scientist or expert with scarce knowledge and skills, or a key senior employee.

Nathan Reed

"With InterNations I quickly connected with other Canadian members who became close friends over time."

Barbara Melington

"The best thing about InterNations? Definitely the offline get-together. Meeting other expats in real life helps a lot."

Global Expat Guide